An ultrasonic sensor is a device that measures the distance of the surface or an object using sound waves. You can find the usage of these sensors in industrial and manufacturing applications, where they are used to monitor the levels of liquids, powders, and other materials in tanks and silos.
Let us explore the best things about ultrasonic-level distance sensors and their usage in various applications.
How Ultrasonic Level Distance Sensors Work?
Ultrasonic level distance sensors work by emitting high-frequency sound waves. It measures the waves that bounce off the surface of the material. The sensor then measures the time of the sound waves. It calculates the distance between the sensor and the surface of the material.
Ultrasonic level distance sensors typically use frequencies between 20 and 200 kHz. The range is not audible for human beings. These sound waves can travel through air, liquids, and solids, making ultrasonic devices suitable for various applications.
Applications of Ultrasonic Level Distance Sensors
- Tank Level Monitoring: You can use ultrasonic devices to monitor the levels of liquids, such as water, oil, and chemicals, in tanks and silos. Mount the sensor on the top of the tank or keep it inside the tank. It provides real-time level data for inventory management and process control.
- Conveyor Belt Monitoring: monitor the levels of materials on conveyor belts, such as grains, powders, and other bulk materials using ultrasonic devices. Install the sensor above the conveyor belt for accurate distance measurements. It ensures that the belt runs smoothly and distributes the materials evenly.
- Packaging Line Monitoring: Used to monitor the levels of products on packaging lines, such as bottles, cans, and boxes. Mount the sensor above the line to get the distance measurements. It ensures no blockages occur during product packaging.
- Liquid Level Detection: Mostly used to detect the presence of liquids, such as water or oil, in industrial applications. Mount the sensor above or below the surface of the liquid to find the correct distance measurements. Use it to detect leaks or overflows.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Level Distance Sensors
Ultrasonic level distance sensors offer several advantages over other types of level sensors, including:
- Non-Contact: Ultrasonic devices do not come into contact with the measured material, which reduces the risk of contamination and damage to the sensor.
- Wide Range: Ultrasonic devices can measure distances up to several meters, making them suitable for various applications.
- Accuracy: Regardless of the humidity, pressure, and temperature, the ultrasonic devices provide correct distance measurements.
- Easy to Install: Ultrasonic devices are easy to install and can be mounted on tanks, silos, and other equipment using standard brackets and fittings.
- Low Maintenance: Ultrasonic devices require minimal maintenance and can operate reliably for long periods without a requirement for calibration or adjustment.
Contact our expert team for more information about the KUS600 seriesUltrasonic Sensor’s general specifications!